- Signed by Governor Snyder on 10/6/16, is now Public Act 306 of 2016
- Attempts to ensure that more students will achieve a score of at least proficient in ELA on the 3rd Grade state assessment
- Requires implementation of Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) elements to ensure early intervention of at risk students.
Four Key Elements of MTSS Include:
- Provide reading instruction that meet the needs of the students in the classroom.
- Utilize assessments to screen, diagnose and progress monitor student growth at least three times a year using NWEA, DRA and WA
- For students identified as having reading delays, an individual reading intervention plan needs to be developed to layer on reading support and interventions. (IIP)
- Notify parents and provide support for reading at home. Parent/Teacher conferences, Parent compact, and 2 or more year contract.
- Legislates a process to retain students that fail to read proficiently by the end of 3rd grade.