The Michigan Student Test of Educational Progress (M-STEP) tests will be administered to 3rd grade students (Math and ELA), 4th grade students (Math, ELA and Science), and 5th grade students (Math, ELA, and Social Studies), 6th grade students (Math and ELA), 7th grade students (Math, ELA Science), and 8th grade students (Math, ELA, and Social Studies) at Lowrey School. The M-STEP window begins April 13th this year. With the M-STEP taking the place of the MEAP and it is now given from April- May; make sure that you are NOT planning on going away during this time. Students will not be excused and this test is mandatory. The M-STEP tests are not timed and are administered to students in several sessions to avoid test fatigue. Test items are multiple-choice and constructed-response (essay) items.
Results on M-STEP tests are based on how students perform compared to set standards, and not compared to other students.
M-STEP results are used in a variety of ways. At the class level, your child’s teacher(s) uses the results to identify strengths and learning needs, and to work with you to plan ways to meet those needs. At the school level, M-STEP results are used to identify curriculum and/or instructional changes that may need to be made to better educate students.
Tips on helping your child prepare for M-STEP
- Avoid scheduling appointments for your child that would take him or her out of a scheduled testing session.
- Let your child know that the tests are important.
- Encourage your child to try for his/her best so the results will reflect your child’s knowledge as accurately as possible.
- Encourage your child to relax and to feel positive about testing.
- A good night’s sleep and a good breakfast always help performance.
- Be sure your child is at school on time.
- When your child returns home, ask about the testing and how he/she thought everything went.
- Support your child’s best efforts with encouragement and praise.
Have your child repeat the Following to You:
I Will Beat the M-STEP by Doing My Best!!
Tell your child: “You will do great on the M-STEP”. The M-STEP is just a review of what you learned this year and is not a timed test. Make sure to take your time. Thank you and please let us know if you have any questions by stopping by or calling the school at: 313-827-1800. Take care